- Around 300 Km by bike in 8 days, in Medieval Transylvania
- Local culinary experience, crafts, wine and organic cheese tasting experience
- 8 days to discover the Saxon legacy, culture and traditions of this Medieval Area
- Rides across traditional Saxon villages, part of the “Natura 2000” European Union’s protected area
This guided Transylvania Heritage tour takes you along country roads and pastoral landscapes. But also far from the crowded routes, on flat terrain, unpaved country trails, up and downhill trails to enjoy the incredible Transylvanian scenery. You will experience seven or eight wonderful cycling days mixed with an extraordinary culinary and cultural experience.
We will pass historic architecture, preserved since the Middle Ages. You will visit UNESCO World Heritage fortified churches, castles, remote villages and even the medieval city of Sibiu, the former Cultural Capital of Europe in 2007. The landscape is a mosaic of oak and beech forests, rich meadows and pastures. The small Saxon villages centered on fortified churches are still keeping the same level of civilization.
- Biertan fortified church – in the UNESCO World heritage since 1993
- Viscri rural site – in the UNESCO World Heritage since 1996
- Malancrav/Malmkrog fortified church –famous for its mural painting, one of the best preserved specimens of 14th century linear narrative gothic painting, in the UNESCO World heritage
- Saschiz fortified church – in the UNESCO World Heritage since 1993
- Sighisoara/Schaessburg – the last European "living" Middle Age city, in the UNESCO World heritage
- Brasov/Kronstadt – one of the most important medieval cities in Central part of the country
- Cund – a splendid small village, renovated by the German community
- Sibiu/Hermannstadt – impressive medieval city well knows as the Cultural capital of Europe in 2007
- Old crafts performed by the locals, cheese and wine tasting experiences
Day by day
Guests will be arriving from noon onwards in Brasov/Kronstadt for a short tour in the old centre of this beautiful medieval city, famous for the Black Church and other sites. Dinner to follow in the old city center, accompanied by a short introduction and welcome package.
Overnight in San Petru or similar (about 4 km from Brasov)
Included meals: dinner
Distance: 60 km
After breakfast you will leave Brasov on the north route to Bod, following a secondary route for 14 miles/23 km. You will ride through San Petru, Bod, Feldioara/Marienburg, Haghig, Belini, and Aita Mare. From Feldioara we are cycling along the Olt River for another 38 km, to Miclosoara, where an old medieval castle of Count Kalnoky will be visited. Miklósvár is the oldest documented settlement of the region. Its castle was first mentioned in 1211 AD as border fortress between the territory donated to the Knights of the Teutonic Order and the rest of the of the Kingdom of Hungary. We will continue then the route for another 10 km to reach our final destination for today, Talisoara where we will be accommodated at an old restored castle, Daniel castely. Provided there is time, a visit to a local blacksmith may be organized.
Overnight in Talisoara at Daniel Castel. (http://www.danielcastle.ro/)
Included meals: breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 55 km
After a medieval evening and a refreshing breakfast, you will continue your route along Olt River through several villages. There are 2 options to reach Viscri, one using a longer asphalt route via Varghis village and one following the route via Racos. Once arrived in Rupea, you will continue your route via Dacia to Viscri, a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage site. After a short rest or if interested, we will have the opportunity to visit the felt-craft workshop and discover how the felt is made by hand, starting from wool. Overnight in Viscri at local guesthouses.
Included meals: breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 12 km by bike and 35 km by car or 42 km by bike on a dedicated MTB route
After a nice breakfast we will have a short 12 km bike tour to reach the beautiful village of Crit. Along the route you will stop in Saschiz to visit the Saschiz fortified church, another UNESCO World Heritage site. The famous magnificent bell tower, whose church was built in the 15th century, dominates Saschiz. On the hill above Saschiz is the Peasant Citadel, built by the Saxons probably on the site of a former Roman fort. The citadel is great place for a picnic lunch and an excellent photographer’s vantage point. You will arrive in Sighisoara in the evening to have a tour of the beautiful old citadel. Sighisoara is recognized as one of the best-preserved medieval towns in Europe.
Alternative route: For those cyclists trying to perform a more challenging route, a 42 km single trail MTB route is available from Viscri to Sighisoara. Skilled cyclists can perform this trail, which goes over the Transylvanian hills, through idyllic landscapes and woods. The trail is part of the “Transylvanian hills” cycling network. Cyclists can perform the total route or only part of it (18, 23 or 30 km, depending on their skills and potential). Overnight in Sighisoara old city center.
Included meals: buffet breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 55 km
Passing through Danes, Floresti, Laslea, Hoghilag, and Dumbraveni, you will visit castles (Cris) and fortified churches. Discover the remote village of Cund, a small town where the German community renovated the old homes, bringing 3- and 4-star luxury life to this hidden part of the world.
Overnight in Cund at Valea Verde Retreat (www.discover-transilvania.com)
Included meals: buffet breakfast, restaurant lunch, dinner
Distance: 40 km
Today we will experience the rural life around the small village of Cund. There are various routes and objectives, depending the cycling options of the group. The 40 km asphalt route will allow us to visit a wine cellar and the nearby villages. The off-road paths will allow us to visit the local forest paths and local sheepfolds, discover the wild life and other attractions.
Attractions on the way: the Villa Vinea winery; Butoiul Sasului cellar; the 18th century wooden church in Lepindea; the forest near Giacas.
Back in Cund for one more great evening at Valea Verde Retreat.
Included meals: buffet breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 75km (car transfer available)
Today includes a visit to Biertan, one of the most well known fortified churches included in the UNESCO World Heritage. Leaving Cund we are going to pass first Biertan village and visit the famous fortified church, have lunch, followed by another 6 km bike ride to reach Mosna, where we will pay a visit to an organic cheese farm. The road from Dumbraveni to Sibiu is totally asphalted, but can be crowded in the last part (~20 km). For cyclists who don’t want to cycle the longer distance, the car transfer is available for the last part of the route.
After reaching Sibiu, we will have a short evening walking tour through Sibiu (visit the Old Town, the Medieval Fortress, the Brukenthal Museum) before heading to our dinner.
Accommodation and farewell dinner in Sibiu.
Included meals: breakfast, lunch, farewell dinner
Leaving at 11.00 am Sibiu to reach Bucharest at around 16.00 at Bucharest Gara de Nord. (subject to change).
Alternatively a bus group transfer can be arranged on request.
End of the trip
In the morning you can take a short sightseeing trip to the open-air village museum Astra. The museum is built around 3 lakes in the Dumbrava Forest and features houses, churches, and water/windmills from all over Romania. After the visit, take a cycling trip to the villages Cisnadioara, Rasinari till Gura Raului.
We will meet in the afternoon to have a complimentary Bucharest by bike tour in our capital city.
What si included
- 7 nights of accommodation (differs if optional days included)
- In every region we travel, we uncover the area’s best and original accommodations. On our Transylvania trip, you will stay in truly unique medieval locations—one old restored castle, manor house, a centrally located medieval hotel in the heart of Sighisoara, a beautifully restored B&B in the remote village of Cund.
- Full board for all period – daily breakfast, picnic lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks for each day
- On our trip, you will sample the finest local delicacies from the region from the innovative to traditional dishes
- Detailed trip description and programme, maps, GPS maps (on request)
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides (Romanian, English, French or German speaking possible)
- All luggage transfers and transportation during the trip, vehicle assistance during the day
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary Carpatbike branded merchandise
- Cannondale, Trek or Cube XC or hybrid bicycles
- The use of Garmin Touring Plus GPS cycling computer
- Bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- CarpatBike bike jersey (to buy)
- Entrance fees for all group events/activities
- Tickets to several cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
- Local Taxes
- Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
- Alcoholic and additional drinks or meals during the programme
- On select trips some meals are not included so you can explore the local cuisine at your leisure.
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Tips for your cycling guide (5-10% trip price) or at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour)
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
- Additional local guides, if required
- Visits to winery, blacksmith, felt shop, Hosman old mill, Cris castle
- Optional activities not scheduled by CarpatBike
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
Meeting and departure:
How to get there:
We suggest that you arrive at one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Bucharest or Sibiu airports. Travel time between Bucharest and Brasov is approximately 3 hours. On a weekday, there are 2-3 good trains per day traveling from Bucharest to Brasov and the ticket price ranges from 11-17 EUR/person.
For the return trip from Sibiu, there are a few trains per day to Bucharest, the ticket price being around 20 EUR/person. Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
On arrival, the participants will be informed on the programme and other necessary information, they will be familiarised with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike and so on). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfil all terms and conditions.
In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to CarpatBike terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
Due to the long distance for the first day and the organisational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local rides, a visit in the city and local sights.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through pastoral landscapes and peaceful Transylvanian scenery. The terrain includes flat asphalt routes, unpaved country hilly trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
On this tour, 10% of the riding is on dedicated bike paths, 60% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 30 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists. The tour is also recommended for non-cyclists. In this case, a parallel program will be provided in the area.
We have prepared for you accommodation in beautifully restored medieval castles or Saxon guesthouses preserved since Medieval times.
GT, Cannondale or Trek XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet can be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival. Please consider also bringing your own water recipient.
Dates & Prices
We reward our guests with lower pricing and more dates to choose from the earlier you book.
Also, in case you want to book a tour for a particular date we are happy to prepare a customized offer for your group. Choose any of our existing tour itineraries for your own private adventure.
Please not this tour is available also as a self-guided option. Different price applies.
Book it on your chosen dates, just for your group. Prices may vary depending on group size and availability for selected dates. For groups +10 pp. additional discount apply.
Please contact us for details at email@example.com asap.
|from 12 May 2017 to 19 May 2017 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|from 04 Jun 2017 to 11 Jun 2017 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|from 23 Jul 2017 to 30 Jul 2017 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|from 06 Aug 2017 to 13 Aug 2017 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|from 03 Sep 2017 to 10 Sep 2017 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|4-6 persons||€ 1568||€ 1769||€ 215|
|7-9 persons||€ 1489||€ 1679||€ 215|
|+10 persons||€ 1379||€ 1546||€ 215|