~175 Km by bike in 4 days in Saxon Transylvania
• Luggage transportation and assistance
• Local culinary experience, crafts, wine and organic cheese tasting experience
• 4 days to discover the history, the culture and the traditions of Medieval Transylvania
• Rides across traditional Saxon villages, part of the Natura 2000 European Union’s protected area
This guided tour takes you along country roads and pastoral landscapes far from the crowded routes, on flat terrain, unpaved country trails, up and downhill trails enjoying the incredible Transylvanian scenery. You will experience seven or eight wonderful cycling days mixed with an extraordinary culinary and cultural experience.
You will pass historic architecture, preserved since the Middle Ages. You will visit UNESCO World Heritage fortified churches, castles, remote villages, and even the medieval city of Sibiu, named the Cultural Capitial of Europe in 2007. The landscape is a mosaic of oak and beech forests, rich meadows and pastures. The small Transylvanian villages centered around fortified churches are still keeping the same level of civilization.
We have prepared for your accommodation selected small hotels and medieval guesthouses with tranquility, organic food and high comfort.
- Biertan fortified church – in the UNESCO World heritage since 1993
- Malancrav/Malmkrog fortified church –famous for its mural painting, one of the best preserved specimens of 14th century linear narrative gothic painting
- Sighisoara/Schaessburg – the last European "living" Middle Age city
- Cund – a splendid small village, renovated by the German community
- Sibiu/Hermannstadt – impressive medieval city well knows as the Cultural capital of Europe in 2007
- Old crafts performed by the locals, cheese and wine tasting experiences
Day by day
Guests will be arriving from noon onwards in Sighisoara and have the rest of the day as free time to visit this Middle Age citadel with old colorful cobble streets. On request, we could book for you a local guide to help you explore the city and discuss about the places you will visit.
Overnight in a medieval hotel in the old citadel.
Meals: on your own.
After breakfast you will leave Sighisoara toward Malancrav. Extra loop possible to visit Cris and stop to visit the Bethlen Castle. In Malancrav you can visit the fortified church (on the list of UNESCO world heritage) and a traditional weaving workshop.
From Malancrav you will be cycling via Laslea, Hoghilag, Dumbraveni on a hilly road to the tiny village of Cund.
Overnight at Valea Verde resort in Cund.
Meals: breakfast and dinner.
Distance: 55 km, flat and rolling
Extra loop: Cris -Malancrav (25 km)
Today we will experience the rural life around the small village of Cund. The 40 km asphalt route will allow you to visit the Villa Vinea winery and the nearby villages. You could stop for lunch at Butoiul Sasului cellar. Alternatively, you can enjoy a hiking trip over the hills or some horse riding. We can adjust this day to suits your needs.
Overnight in Cund for one more great evening at Valea Verde Retreat. Meals: breakfast and dinner.
Distance: 40 km, almost flat.
Today includes a visit to Biertan, one of the most well known fortified churches included in the UNESCO World Heritage. Leaving Cund you are going to pass Dumbraveni, then Biertan village and visit the famous fortified church, have lunch. For a short extra loop you can ride for another 6 km bike ride to reach Mosna, where you will pay a visit to an organic cheese farm. The road from Dumbraveni to Sibiu is totally asphalted, but can be a bit more crowded in the last part (~15 km).
After reaching Sibiu, we will have a short evening walking tour through Sibiu (visit the Old Town, the Medieval Fortress, the Brukenthal Museum) before heading to dinner.
Overnight in Sibiu center.
Extra loop: 15 km
Distance: 80km, flat and rolling
After a leisurely breakfast is time to prepare for your departure or next destination.
In the morning you can take a short sightseeing trip to the open air village museum Astra. The museum is built around 3 lakes in the Dumbrava Forest and features houses, churches, and water/windmills from all over Romania. After the visit, take a cycling trip to the villages Cisnadioara, Rasinari till Gura Raului.
What si included
- 4 nights accommodation (differs if optional day included)
- all breakfasts and 2 luxury dinners in Cund
- Detailed trip description and programme, GPS maps
- Bike, accessories and equipment rental (if required)
- Luggage transportation
- Complimentary branded CarpatBike t-shirt
- Local Taxes
- Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
- Alcoholic drinks during the programme
- Tips for the driver, the arts&crafts visits at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Villa Vinea winery visits and other sights along the way
- Extra charges for laundry, room service, etc.
- Transfer cost from Bucharest to Sighisoara and from Sibiu to Bucharest
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour)
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
- Additional local guides, if required
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
Meeting and departure:
How to get there:
We suggest that you arrive at one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Bucharest or Sibiu airports. Travel time between Bucharest and Sighisoara is approximately 4 hours. On a weekday, there are 2-3 good trains per day traveling from Bucharest to Sighisoara and the ticket price ranges from 20-25 EUR/person.
For the return trip from Sibiu, there are a few trains per day to Bucharest, the ticket price being around 25 EUR/person. Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through pastoral landscapes and peaceful Transylvanian scenery. The terrain includes flat asphalt routes, unpaved country hilly trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
On this tour, 10% of the riding is on dedicated bike paths, 60% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 30 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists.
We have prepared for you accommodation in beautifully restored medieval castles or Saxon guesthouses preserved since Medieval times.
GT, Cannondale or Trek XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet can be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival. Please consider also bringing your own water recipient.
Dates & Prices
We reward our guests with lower pricing the earlier you book. Since this is a self guided tour, you have the option to book the tour for any particular date and we are happy to support you also with a customized offer for your group.
Book it on your chosen dates, just for your group. Prices may vary depending on group size.
Please contact us for details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|from 05/01/2018 to - 5 days/4 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|4-6||€ 695||€ 765||€ 125|
|7-10||€ 640||€ 700||€ 125|
|+10||€ 590||€ 650||€ 125|