- Around 300 Km by bike in 7 days, in Medieval Transylvania
- Local culinary experience, crafts, wine and organic cheese tasting experience
- 7 days to discover the Saxon legacy, culture and traditions of this Medieval Area
- Rides across traditional Saxon villages, part of the “Natura 2000” European Union’s protected area
This guided Medieval Transylvanian bike tour takes you along country roads and pastoral landscapes. But also far from the crowded routes, on flat terrain, unpaved country trails, up and downhill trails to enjoy the incredible Transylvanian scenery. You will experience seven or eight wonderful cycling days mixed with an extraordinary culinary and cultural experience.
We will pass historic architecture, preserved since the Middle Ages. You will visit UNESCO World Heritage fortified churches, castles, remote villages and even the medieval city of Sibiu, the former Cultural Capital of Europe in 2007. The landscape is a mosaic of oak and beech forests, rich meadows and pastures. The small Saxon villages centered on fortified churches are still keeping the same level of civilization.
- Biertan fortified church – in the UNESCO World heritage since 1993
- Viscri rural site – in the UNESCO World Heritage since 1996
- Malancrav/Malmkrog fortified church –famous for its mural painting, one of the best preserved specimens of 14th century linear narrative gothic painting, in the UNESCO World heritage
- Sighisoara/Schaessburg – the last European "living" Middle Age city, in the UNESCO World heritage
- Brasov/Kronstadt – one of the most important medieval cities in Central part of the country
- Cund – a splendid small village, renovated by the German community
- Sibiu/Hermannstadt – impressive medieval city well knows as the Cultural capital of Europe in 2007
- Old crafts performed by the locals, cheese and wine tasting experiences
Day by day
Guests will be arriving at noon onwards in Brasov/Kronstadt for a short tour in the old centre of this beautiful medieval city, famous for the Black Church and other sites. An one hour transfer to Talisoara for a warm up ride, welcome dinner and intro talk with your dedicated Romanian local guide. A morning transfer from Bucharest can be organized for you, as a separate package. On the way you can visit Peles Castle in Sinaia, the former Royal Summer residence.
Overnight in Talisoara at Daniel Castle.
Included meals: dinner
Bike route: short 10-20 km warm up ride
Distance: 55 km
After a Rennaisance dinner and a refreshing breakfast, we will start our bike adventure in Transylvania region. There are 2 options to reach Viscri, one using a longer asphalt route via Varghis village and one following the route via Racos. Once arrived in Rupea we will stop for a quick lunch, and then continue your route via Dacia to Viscri, a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage site. Viscri is a small settlement in the heart of Transylvania, where you can discover ageless traditions, legends and faiths of its people, while enjoying the architecture and savouring the richness of its craftsmanship and cuisine. You will have the opportunity to visit the local fortified church (UNESCO World Heritage), visit the felt-craft workshop and discover how the felt is made by hand, or a traditional workshop producing bricks and tiles for the local community and for the historical buildings in the area. Then in the evening, you'll be able to witness one of the most iconic images of rural Transylvanian life when hundreds of cows return to the village from grazing. Overnight in Viscri at local traditional guesthouses.
Included meals: breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 52 km
After a short walk in Viscri to visit the community activities and the local UNESCO fortified church, we will leave towards Dacia and Jibert villages, before crossing a wild forest hill to Cobor village. In Cobor we will visit a biodiversity farm (horses and cows) and have an organic local lunch. From Cobor we will continue our gravel trip for another 10 km, and then we will follow a paved road for the rest or the day trip. Once arrived in Cincsor – the final destination for the day, you will accommodate in the former parish house, now renovated.
Meals: breakfast, picnic lunch, dinner
Distance: 64 km
Today we will have a paved route from Cincsor village to Sighisoara Middle Age fortress – a UNESCO World Heritage site. From Cincsor we are heading North and we will reach Dealu Frumos village (the Beautiful Hill) – the geographical center of Romania. We will follow our route reaching more Saxon villages before reaching Sighisoara. Then you will pass Agnita and Sighisoara. You can have lunch in Agnita or you can have a 10km detour to Movile village to visit an old fortified church renovation project and have lunch in the village. Once arrived in Sighisoara, make sure to take some time and walk the historical city center of the citadel. Sighisoara is one of the seven medieval fortified cities, the best preserved and still inhabited. The small, but bohemian citadel is hiding lot of stories and places and it is a heaven place for photographers.
Overnight in the old citadel.
Meals: Breakfast, lunch
Distance: 55 km
Passing through Danes, Floresti, Laslea, Hoghilag, and Dumbraveni, you will visit castles (Cris) and fortified churches. Discover the remote village of Cund, a small town where the German community renovated the old homes, bringing 3- and 4-star luxury life to this hidden part of the world.
Overnight in Cund at Valea Verde Retreat (www.discover-transilvania.com)
Included meals: breakfast, lunch
Distance: 40 km
Today we will experience the rural life around the small village of Cund. There are various routes and objectives, depending the cycling options of the group. The 40 km asphalt route will allow us to visit a wine cellar and the nearby villages. The off-road paths will allow us to visit the local forest paths and local sheepfolds, discover the wild life and other attractions.
Attractions on the way: the Villa Vinea winery; Butoiul Sasului cellar; the 18th century wooden church in Lepindea; the forest near Giacas.
Back in Cund for one more great evening at Valea Verde Retreat.
Included meals: breakfast, lunch, final night dinner
Distance: 75km (car transfer available)
Today includes a visit to Biertan, one of the most well known fortified churches included in the UNESCO World Heritage. Leaving Cund we are going to pass first Biertan village and visit the famous fortified church, have lunch, followed by another 6 km bike ride to reach Mosna, where we will pay a visit to an organic cheese farm. The road from Dumbraveni to Sibiu is totally asphalted, but can be crowded in the last part (~20 km). For cyclists who don’t want to cycle the longer distance, the car transfer is available for the last part of the route. Farewell.
Included meals: breakfast, lunch
What si included
- 6 nights of accommodation (differs if optional days included)
- In every region we travel, we uncover the area’s best and original accommodations. On our Transylvania trip, you will stay in truly unique medieval locations—one old restored castle, manor house, a centrally located medieval hotel in the heart of Sighisoara, a beautifully restored B&B in the remote village of Cund.
- Meals as indicated – daily breakfast, picnic lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks for each day
- On our trip, you will sample the finest local delicacies from the region from the innovative to traditional dishes
- Detailed trip description and programme, maps, GPS maps (on request)
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides (Romanian, English, French or German speaking possible)
- All luggage transfers and transportation during the trip, vehicle assistance during the day
- Comprehensive trip literature and complimentary CarpatBike branded merchandise
- Cannondale, GT or Cube XC or hybrid bicycles
- The use of Garmin Touring Plus GPS cycling computer
- Bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- CarpatBike bike jersey (to buy)
- Entrance fees for all group events/activities
- Tickets to several cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
- Local Taxes
- Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
- Alcoholic and additional drinks or meals during the programme
- On select trips some meals are not included so you can explore the local cuisine at your leisure.
- E-bike supplement fee
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Tips for your cycling guide (5-10% trip price) or at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour)
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
- Additional local guides, if required
- Visits to winery, blacksmith, felt shop, Hosman old mill, Cris castle
- Optional activities not scheduled by CarpatBike
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
Meeting and departure:
How to get there:
We suggest that you arrive at one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Bucharest or Sibiu airports. Travel time between Bucharest and Brasov is approximately 3 hours. On a weekday, there are 2-3 good trains per day traveling from Bucharest to Brasov and the ticket price ranges from 11-17 EUR/person.
For the return trip from Sibiu, there are a few trains per day to Bucharest, the ticket price being around 20 EUR/person. Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
On arrival, the participants will be informed on the programme and other necessary information, they will be familiarised with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike and so on). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfil all terms and conditions.
In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to CarpatBike terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
Due to the long distance for the first day and the organisational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local rides, a visit in the city and local sights.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through pastoral landscapes and peaceful Transylvanian scenery. The terrain includes flat asphalt routes, unpaved country hilly trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
On this tour, 10% of the riding is on dedicated bike paths, 60% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 30 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists. The tour is also recommended for non-cyclists. In this case, a parallel program will be provided in the area.
We have prepared for you accommodation in beautifully restored medieval castles or Saxon guesthouses preserved since Medieval times.
GT and Cannondale XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price. E-bikes are also available for a supplement fee.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet can be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival. Please consider also bringing your own water recipient.
Dates & Prices
We reward our guests with lower pricing and more dates to choose from the earlier you book.
Also, in case you want to book a tour for a particular date we are happy to prepare a customized offer for your group. Choose any of our existing tour itineraries for your own private adventure.
Please not this tour is available also as a self-guided option. Different price applies.
Book it on your chosen dates, just for your group. Prices may vary depending on group size and availability for selected dates. For groups +10 pp. additional discount apply.
Please contact us for details at email@example.com asap.
|from 13 Jun 2021 to 20 Jun 2021 - 7 days/6 nights||Book now|
|from 18 Jul 2021 to 25 Jul 2021 - 7 days/6 nights||Book now|
|from 08/29/2021 to 05 Sep 2021 - 7 days/6 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|4-6 persons||€ 1800||€ 1975||€ 250|
|+7 persons||€ 1675||€ 1850||€ 250|