- 4 days to discover the hidden villages of Banat Mountains, steep gorge walls and monuments of the Roman Empire
- ~125 Km by bike around Orsova and Baile Herculane
- Cycle the Iron Gates, a spectacular section of the Danube, part of the project EuroVelo 6 route
- Professional guidance and assistance
In a 4 days trip you have the chance to experience life on the Danube side, discover the breath-taking landscapes, visit cultural and historical sites and explore the secrets of Banat Mountains by bike and boat.
You will discover hidden picturesque villages with secular traditions in Banat Mountains, steep gorge walls, the incredible landscape of the Great Danube and visit monasteries and old monuments of the Roman Empire.
You will cross small towns and villages and discover some industrial heritage from the communist period.
Romanian, German, Hungarian, Serbian and Czech people still live peacefully here.
The great arch of the Carpathian Mountains sweeps through the borderlands of Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia forming an obstacle as the Danube flows toward the Black Sea. Here a great gorge has been carved through the mountains, from Bazias to Drobeta Turnu Severin. The Danube Gorges (Danube Boilers) are special because, for 9 kilometres, the Danube narrows to about 230 meters. In this narrow place the Danube flows much quicker and you c.an see numerous vortices that give you the sensation that the water is boiling.
The Iron Gates, the dam over the Danube, was built in the 70’s, when the Romanian and Serbian governments decided to increase electricity production.
- Boat trip on the Danube
- Ana Monastery above Orsova
- Dranicului Hill – a nice panorama from above over the Iron Gates and over Orsova
- The wind turbine on top of Dranicului Hill
- Toplet village and Eibenthal village, a unique Czech village
- Danube Gorges (Danube Boilers)
- “Decebal” monument and Tabula Traiana
- Mraconia Forest
- Veteran’s Cave
- Tricule – a middle age fortress ruins in the Danube river
- Baia Noua – the copper mine
Day by day
Guests will be arriving from noon onwards in Eselnita area for a short tour introduction, bike fitting and welcome package.
Included meals: B.
Route: Eselnita – Orsova – Toplet – Eselnita
Distance: ~40 km (30 km offroad and 10 km on asphalt)
Extra loop: 20 km (Toplet to Baile Herculane)
In the first day we are going to cycle from Eselnita to Orsova, leaving the main road and following a forestry road along the Danube river. After climbing “Dealu Mosului” (the “Old man” Hill) we will reach St. Ana Monastery overlooking Orsova city. The splendid panorama over Orsova will await in a perfect quiet scenery.
After a short break it is time descend to Orsova and have a short walk along the harbour before leaving the city for a nice climb over the “Dranicului” Hill. tTe wild horses along the forest and the nice panorama over the Danube’s Iron Gates will make the climb easier, before the final downhill to the beautiful small village of Toplet. From Toplet we will follow the path near Cerna River back to Orsova, following the asphalt road toward Eselnita.
Included meals: B, L, D.
Route: Eselnita-Dubova-Mraconia forest- Eselnita
Distance: 35 km (15 km offroad and 10 km on asphalt)
From Eselnita we are going toward Dubova village along the “Danube Boilers” and admire the natural architecture the Danube river created during the years by trespassing Banat Mountains.
We will stop to admire the impressive “Decebal head” and “St. Contantin and Elena” Monastery. Decebal's bas-relief is a 55 meters high sculpture placed on the rocky Danube shore close to Orsova city, just between Eselnita and Dubova villages.
Leaving Decebal’s head we will bike on into Mraconia forest for a 10 km climb. We will return following the same route to Eselnita, not before enjoying a boat trip along the Danube to Veterans’ Cave and the “Tabula Traiana” monument.
Included meals: B,L,D.
Route: Eselnita –Dubova - Tricule – Eibenthal – Eselnita
Distance: ~60 km (20 km offroad and 40 km on asphalt)
This last day takes us to Tricule middle age fortress. On our way back we will have a 6 km off road climbing experience to reach Eibenthal – a beautiful Czech village and later Baia Noua copper mine.
After a good lunch it is time to return and say goodbye.
Included meals: B,L.
What si included
- 3 nights of accommodation (differs if optional days included)
- In every region we travel, we uncover the area’s best and original accommodations.
- Full board for all period – daily breakfast, picnic lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks for each day
- On our trip, you will sample the finest local delicacies from the region from the innovative to traditional dishes
- Detailed trip description and programme, maps, GPS maps (on request)
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides (Romanian, English, French or German speaking possible)
- All luggage transfers and transportation during the trip, vehicle assistance during the day
- Comprehensive trip literature
- Cannondale, Trek, GT XC bicycles or Schwinn hybrid bicycles
- The use of Garmin Touring Plus GPS cycling computer
- Bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- CarpatBike bike jersey (to buy)
- Entrance fees for group events/activities
- Tickets to several cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
- Local Taxes
- Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
- Alcoholic and additional drinks or meals during the programme
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Tips for your cycling guide or at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
- Additional local guides, if required
- Optional activities not scheduled by CarpatBike
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
Meeting and departure:
How to get there:
We suggest that you arrive at one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Bucharest or Timisoara airports. Travel time by car between Bucharest and Orsova is approximately 5 hours.
Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
On arrival, the participants will be informed on the programme and other necessary information, they will be familiarised with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike and so on). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfil all terms and conditions.
In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to CarpatBike terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
Due to the long distance for the first day and the organisational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local rides, a visit in the city and local sights.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through peaceful scenery. The terrain includes hilly routes, unpaved country trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition.
On this tour, 60% of the riding is on forest and off road paths, 30% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 10 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists.
GT,Cannondale or Trek XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet can be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival. Please consider also bringing your own water recipient.
Dates & Prices
We reward our guests with lower pricing and more dates to choose from the earlier you book.
Also, in case you want to book a tour for a particular date we are happy to prepare a customized offer for your group. Choose any of our existing tour itineraries for your own private adventure.
Book it on your chosen dates, just for your group. Prices may vary depending on group size and availability for selected dates. For groups +10 pp. additional discount apply.
Please contact us for details at email@example.com asap.
|from 08/19/2021 to 08/22/2021 - 4 days/3 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|4-6||€ 640||€ 700||€ 95|
|7-10||€ 590||€ 650||€ 95|
|+10||€ 540||€ 600||€ 95|