- ~100 Km by bike in 3 days in Saxon Transylvania
- Local culinary experience and wine tasting experience
- Guiding and assistance with professional guide
- 3 days to discover the Saxon legacy, the culture and the traditions of this Medieval Area
- Rides across traditional Saxon villages, part of the Natura 2000 European Union’s protected area
Transylvania’s medieval heritage is one of the most the most valuable from Romania. The small Transylvanian villages are still keeping the same level of civilization. We are inviting you to discover the amazing world of Transylvanian fortresses and churches, included in UNESCO World Heritage.Our trip a made for tourists with average level of experience who enjoy biking in a natural and authentic environment. This guided tour takes you along country roads and pastoral landscapes far from the crowded routes, on hilly terrain, unpaved country trails, up and downhill trails enjoying the incredible Transylvanian scenery. You will visit splendid nature reserves, authentic villages and historical towns. The trip offers diversity, thus you will have the possibility to make some short hiking trips, visit historical and cultural sites and experience local delicacies.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists.
We have prepared for your accommodation selected small hotels and local traditional pensions with tranquility, organic food and high comfort.
A professional guide assists you with technical problems and will give you information about the area, as well as bringing you in contact with the local people.
- Sighisoara/Schaessburg – the last European "living" Middle Age city
- Cris Castle – a Medieval restored castle
- Wine tasting experience at a local cellar
- Cund – a splendid small village, renovated by the German community
- Dedicated cycling trails in the Transylvanian woods
- Two nights full board accommodation; one extra night option
Day by day
After your individual afternoon arrival in Sighisoara we will welcome you in the old citadel of Sighisoara with a short tour of the beautiful medieval city before dinner and planning the next days of cycling.
Overnight : Sighisoara old citadel
Meals: welcome dinner
After breakfast we will leave Sighisoara on a cycling trail to Cris Castle. We will pass a centennial oak reserve near Sighisoara, we will visit Stejarenii village and we will arrive at Cris village to visit a splendid medieval manor. From Cris, after lunch, we will continue our route following other Transylvanian landscapes, and arriving after 50 km, in the little village of Cund.
Discover the remote village of Cund, a small town where the German community renovated the old homes, bringing 3- and 4-star luxury life to this hidden part of the world. It seems as the village is being brought back to life in perfect harmony with the old traditions of the place.
Meals: full board
Overnight in Cund at Valea Verde Resort.
After a medieval evening and a refreshing breakfast, you will have a new cycling experience through the Saxon villages of Transylvania. In the first part of the day we will visit a local cellar in Jidvei winery area. After a lunch stop we will continue our route back to Valea Verde, visiting small hidden villages with wooden churches, local sheepfolds and passing the forests. Back again in Cund after lunch and prepare for departure.
What si included
- 2/3 nights of accommodation (differs if optional days included)
- In every region we travel, we uncover the area’s best and original accommodations. On our Transylvania trip, you will stay in truly unique medieval locations—one old restored castle, manor house, a centrally located medieval hotel in the heart of Sighisoara, a beautifully restored B&B in the remote village of Cund.
- Full board for all period – daily breakfast, picnic lunches, dinners, snacks and drinks for each day
- On our trip, you will sample the finest local delicacies from the region from the innovative to traditional dishes
- Detailed trip description and programme, maps, GPS maps (on request)
- The knowledge, support, and camaraderie of experienced guides (Romanian, English, French or German speaking possible)
- All luggage transfers and transportation during the trip, vehicle assistance during the day
- Comprehensive trip literature
- Cannondale, Trek or Cube XC bicycles or Schwinn hybrid bicycles
- The use of Garmin Touring Plus GPS cycling computer
- Bike helmets and other gear and equipment to make your ride comfortable
- CarpatBike bike jersey (to buy)
- Entrance fees for group events/activities
- Tickets to several cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
- Local Taxes
- Airfare and transportation to and from the trip pick-up/drop-off locations
- Alcoholic and additional drinks or meals during the programme
- Lodging before and after the trip
- Tips for your cycling guide (5-10% trip price) or at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)
- Additional local guides, if required
- Optional activities not scheduled by CarpatBike
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
Meeting and departure:
How to get there:
We suggest that you arrive at one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Bucharest, Sibiu or Targu Mures airports. Travel time by car between Bucharest and Sighisoara is approximately 4 hours. On a weekday, there are 2-3 good trains per day traveling from Bucharest to Sighisoara and the ticket price is around 15 EUR/person.
For the return trip from Cund, there are a few trains per day to Bucharest, the ticket price being around 15 EUR/person. Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
On arrival, the participants will be informed on the programme and other necessary information, they will be familiarised with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike and so on). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfil all terms and conditions.
In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to CarpatBike terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
Due to the long distance for the first day and the organisational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local rides, a visit in the city and local sights.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through pastoral landscapes and peaceful Transylvanian scenery. The terrain includes flat asphalt routes, unpaved country hilly trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
On this tour, 10% of the riding is on dedicated bike paths, 60% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 30 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists. The tour is also recommended for non-cyclists. In this case, a parallel program will be provided in the area.
We have prepared for you accommodation in beautifully restored medieval hotels or Saxon guesthouses preserved since Medieval times.
GT, Cannondale or Trek XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet can be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival. Please consider also bringing your own water recipient.
Dates & Prices
We reward our guests with lower pricing and more dates to choose from the earlier you book.
Also, in case you want to book a tour for a particular date we are happy to prepare a customized offer for your group. Choose any of our existing tour itineraries for your own private adventure.
Book it on your chosen dates, just for your group. Prices may vary depending on group size and availability for selected dates. For big groups +10 pp. additional discount apply.
Please note April departure has 4 days and 3 nights, different price applies.
Please contact us for details at firstname.lastname@example.org asap.
|from 12 Apr 2020 to 15 Apr 2020 - 4 days/3 nights||Book now|
|from 25 May 2020 to 27 May 2020 - 3 days/2 nights||Book now|
|from 10 Jul 2020 to 12 Jul 2020 - 3 days/2 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|4-6||€ 650||€ 700||€ 100|
|7-10||€ 610||€ 650||€ 100|
|+10||€ 540||€ 580||€ 100|