- More than 250 km by bike in 8 days
- Discover the history, culture and countryside of the “land of woods and rivers”- a rural fairytale
- Local culinary experience, crafts tour and local traditions
- Guiding and assistance with professional guide
Take a journey through time and discover the real Romanian landscape on a cultural back-to-basics style trip through the Maramures region where you’ll be traveling deep into the heart of Romania’s rural countryside with its vast expanses of wild nature, cultural sites, rolling green hills, wooden churches and picturesque peasant villages. Maramures is a fascinating place in the north of Romania surrounded by mountains and picturesque valleys, the most famous and beautiful being the Mara and Iza Valleys.
This guided tour takes you along country roads and pastoral landscapes far from the crowded routes, on flat terrain, unpaved country trails, up and down hill trails enjoying the incredible rural scenery. You will experience eight wonderful cycling days mixed with an extraordinary culinary and cultural experience. Cycling enthusiasts will be delighted to find out that Maramures has a complex network of forestry trails and marked footpaths, which offer great views of the villages and of the amazing northern Romanian landscape
Over 30 natural protected areas, mild meadows, full of green in the summer and of snow in the winter, mountains covered by evergreen forests, all are mirrored in the crystal clear waters, spread all over this region.
Here, in the Land of Woods and Rivers, traditional houses are made of timber, with steep shingled roofs, dovetail joints, wooden pegs and no nails. Gates are enormous, topped by a shingle roof, and with intricate woodcarvings of ropes, suns and wolves’ teeth to protect the family from harm. Every household has its own well, neatly hoed rows of vegetables and colourful pots and pans dangling from a tree, a local custom which began as a practical way to store cooking utensils in a home with no cupboards.
Staying in simple guesthouses that are hosted by locals, you are invited to share peasant customs and traditions typical of Maramures village life such as helping farmers making jam from freshly picked fruits or work with local potters and carpenters, learning the art of pottery and creating your very own objects.
Admire the region’s famous 8 UNESCO wooden churches, including the tallest wooden church in the world, learn more about Romania’s history of communism in Sighetu Marmatiei and gain a new perspective at the charming Merry Cemetery and more: fairly-tale hamlets, splendid displays woodwork and of popular costume, country festivals, ancient traditions, hospitable people and artisans
- from 1,150.00 €
- 8-days bike tour
- Start / End:
- Surdesti/Sighetu Marmatiei
- ~ 250 km total bike ride
- restored traditional guesthouses and small boutique hotels
- Activity level:
28 Jul. 2023
- Cycling route along the Iza and Mara river valleys to admire the beautiful scenery
- Merry Cemetery in Sapanta - unique in the world, due to its originality
- Mocanita (the narrow steam gauge train) hauled by a vintage steam engine from the times of the Austrian-Hungarian empire
- Breb village
- Botiza village (dowry chests and rugs)
- Viseul de Jos area (folk costume and fabrics)
- Bogdan Voda village (carpets and wickerwork)
- Sacel village (rough red ceramics with old traditional elements)
- Memorial of the Victims of Communism and of the Resistance
- The old wooden churches, part of the UNESCO World Heritage
- Craiasca Forest – a nature reserve
- The old water mill in Feresti
Day by day
Day 5: Viseu steam train experience Viseu - Valea Scradei - Novat with the steam train (return by bike for ~16 km)
What si included
- 7 nights accommodation (differs if optional day included)
- Full board for all period – breakfasts, lunches and dinners
- Detailed trip description and programme, GPS maps
- Bike, accessories and equipment rental (if required)
- Tickets to several cultural and historical sights included in the itinerary
- Energizers & water supply
- Photo album at the end of the trip
- Luggage transportation
- Vehicle Assistance (whenever roads allow it to pass)
- English speaking accompanying bike guide (Note: German or French also possible)
- Local Taxes
- Complimentary branded CarpatBike t-shirt
- Airfare cost
- Alcoholic and additional drinks during the programme
- Tips for your bike guide (~25 $/day) or at restaurants (5-10% of the bill)
- Extra charges for laundry telephone or fax charges, room service, etc.
- Transfer cost to the arrival village - Surdesti
- Individual travel Insurance for the trip (compulsory in order to be accepted for the tour)
- Individual insurance for special activities (recommended)Additional local guides, if required
- Single room supplement
- All the other conditions are presented in the “Terms and conditions” document
MEETING AND DEPARTURE:
HOW TO GET THERE:
We suggest that you arrive one day prior to the trip start, which will enable you to adjust to the time zone and minimize the risk of missing the trip start due to flight-related delays. We recommend that you fly into Baia Mare or Cluj airports. Travel time between Bucharest and Baia Mare by car is approximately 8 hours and 1 hour by plane.
Provided you are a group, we can organize transportation from Bucharest to Baia Mare. Please ask tour consultant for specific details and advance bookings.
Please inform the tour company on your flight schedule to advise for appropriate transfer times for meeting and departure.
On arrival, the participants will be informed on the programme and other necessary information, they will be familiarised with the local customs and will receive the travel kit (map, equipment, bike and so on). Our guides will make sure that the participants fulfil all terms and conditions.
In case one or more participants did not reach the meeting date and point as scheduled, it is the responsibility of the participant to reach the group during the trip, according to CarpatBike terms and conditions. They will receive the support of our team in finding the group as soon as possible.
Due to the long distance for the first day and the organisational matters, the first day will not include cycling or it will only include short local rides, a visit in the city and local sights.
This tour includes national, local, village, and forest roads through pastoral landscapes and peaceful Transylvanian scenery. The terrain includes flat asphalt routes, unpaved country hilly trails, and rolling hills and is suitable for cyclists in good physical condition, varying from 30 to 60 km per day.
On this tour, 10% of the riding is on dedicated bike paths, 60% is on quiet roads with little traffic, and 30 % on roads shared with traffic.
This tour is manageable for participants of various ages and would be a fun tour for a family (minimum age 10 recommended) or first-time bike tourists. The tour is also recommended for non-cyclists. In this case, a parallel program will be provided in the area.
We have prepared for you accommodation in beautifully restored traditional guesthouses and small boutique hotels typical for the area.
CUBE, Cannondale or Trek XC bicycles are available on this tour, and are included in the tour price.
Equipment provided at no charge:
- Repair kit
- Water bottle
Other equipment is available at an additional charge:
- GPS system
- Cycle computer
- Panniers and rack
You may choose to bring your own seat, pedals, bottles and/or other accessories; we will change out seats and pedals for you.
While a helmet will be provided, we recommend that for safety and hygiene reasons you bring your own or plan to purchase one upon arrival.
Dates & Prices
|from 07/28/2023 to 08/04/2023 - 8 days/7 nights||Book now|
|Price EUR/person/net price||Bike rental not included||Bike rental included||Single room supplement|
|starting from||€ 1260||€ 1439||€ 275|